Friday, November 11, 2011

"Mom, Can I blow something up?"

The question came after 30 minutes of rambunctious chasing from my 6 and 9 year olds around the house. Not a surprising question, after all. All young men have an innate desire to rescue, conquer, and dominate some aspect of their environment, don't they?

We live in a tri-level home. Most of our time is spent on our main level which includes the kitchen and family room. This is also the favorite area for chasing, wrestling, rolling, tickling, and other forms of modified mixed martial arts from only the kids....of course ;). Our backyard is a basic midwest one, settled in the middle of a subdivision. We don't live on a farm, or have any relatives that do. My husband doesn't have the hobbies of fishing or hunting. Technology drives a good part of our families interests. So...what's available to "blow up"?

The basic go-to option of vinegar & baking soda came to mind. I gave it to my boys with instructions to do it in the tub, hoping the drains would benefit from the revelry as well. But it left me wondering, where can I find ideas on things they could make, do, dominate? They enjoy their video games, but can I provide something where they are conquering a reality, not just a fantasy world? With major potential for only minor injuries (not the reverse!), how can I help them enjoy being a boy?



I recently saw this book at a friend's house. It was exactly what I was looking for: diagrams, recipes, concoctions and descriptions of all things in the likes of snakes, snails & puppy dog tails. I am excited for the boys to work through it with their Dad and I (I don't want to miss out on all the adventure :). Potato guns: Here we come!!

No comments: