Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's the little things, you know.

Often times I get way too caught up in the details of some thing, some conversation, some assignment that I forget the bigger picture of what's beneficial. That's not always the case (as seen in some of my household responsibilities ;), but I definitely do have randomly assigned obsessions.

As I child, my dad would often say "Don't sweat the small stuff, Maija." Every once and awhile that will still ring through my head. The dust bunnies are ever glad! However, I've been challenged lately that it can be the little things that make the biggest difference:

* The son who said 'Thank you' without being prompted
* The coupon for buy one, get one FREE I used at the store
* The $1 tithe from the babysitting income for my daughter
* Taking the credit card out of my wallet, and leaving it at home
* Giving my husband a hug and a kiss when he comes home

The list could go on and on for each of us. These little things add up over time. A consistently thankful child would lighten any mom's heart. I'm not an extreme couponer by any means, but 20 different $.50 coupons each week saves $40 in a month. Little things done repeatedly become very, very big things in our lives.

Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace class has led me to consider this verse lately: Luke 16:10 "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?".

It's the little things, you know.

No comments: